Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Into the Sunset

Look, we don't want to be the turd in the punchbowl, so we're not going to get into a whole big dealy-o here over The Manager's last hurrah at home.

We had figured that we'd be a lot more sanguine at this point about the departure, and ready to turn the page on our own antipathy. But it doesn't feel that way right now, and we're not going to fake it for show or to make nice. (The last time we did that, we recommended a book, and we have yet to hear the end of it.)

Give it a few days, and maybe we'll be able to process it all, and come away with some nice thing to say that feels authentic to us and that you can fill your pillows with. Or not. We suspect that you're not waiting with baited breath.

In the interim, enjoy what you want to.

11 comments:

Navin Vaswani (@eyebleaf) said...

FAKE IT, TAO!

Tao of Stieb said...

I fake it so real, I am beyond fake....

Ty said...

Cito's made me tear my hair out on an outrageous number of occasions this year and last, but he also helped create some of my all-time favourite baseball memories, so I can't be bitter on a night like this.

Tao of Stieb said...

I'm kind of a bitter man anyhow. It's hard to turn that shit off. Especially when so many others around me are doing their best to keep a stick jammed in the "Bitter Switch" which prevents me from turning it off.

What can I say. It's a bad day. Your scribe needs a hug.

Meredith said...

Oh Tao.

DON'T FAKE NUTHIN!!

My last ever dig at your book review happened Sunday. Case closed forever.

Chris said...

I appreciate everything the Manager has done for the Jays and all, but I'll be glad when Citopalooza finally comes to an end.

Parker said...

We'll never know if the Jays would've won those back-to-back championships without Gaston, and we'll never know if Bautista would've broken the team home run record without Gaston.

One thing I DO know, however, is that I can't wait until he's gone. I never again want to see Brian Tallet pitch another medium-to-high-leverage inning, I never again want to see Travis Snider batting leadoff, and I never again want to see gifted young players benched so that impending free agents can reach meaningless milestones.

Fake Wilner said...

Shouldn't that be: "Enjoy to which you want?"

William J. Tasker said...

Over the course of his career, Gaston was -10 on the Pythagorean win-loss record versus his actual record. That probably sums things up.

But he's a stand up guy and a real pro, so I hope he enjoys his retirement.

Tao of Stieb said...

@ Fake Wilner:

Should probably be "Enjoy what you will".

But what am I, a fucking writer genius boy?

Fake Wilner said...

Whoa, buddy. Not criticizing your writing here. If anything, just trying to poke a little fun at my man Wilner.