Friday, December 19, 2008

What's on the menu?

Blue Jay fans will recall the mid-season meltdown where the ever-so-media-savvy A.J. Burnett announced that he would relish (see what I did there?) the chance to pitch in a town where they serve up some baseball for "breakfast, lunch, and dinner."

Ask, and ye shall receive. Welcome to New York, A.J.! It's an acquired taste, but I'm sure you'll get used to your meals prepared by pressure cooker as opposed to the slow roasting method you've become familiar with over the course of the past three seasons. Shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Like the esteemed Tao, I'm trying my best to be indifferent concerning the "A.J.-as-a-Yankee" era. After all, Team Burnett didn't break any rules, were well within their negotiated right to exercise the opt-out clause....and the situation played out pretty much - no, exactly - as we all thought it would, didn't it? So, what gives?

How about this quote, for starters?

"Whether you love them or hate them, everybody wants to be a Yankee."

Terrific. Thanks for the insight, A.J.

But wait - there's more. Remember the alleged conversation with (future Blue Jay) Carl Pavano regarding life as a Yankee? Yeah....that didn't exactly happen during an offseason career soul-searching session. It happened in September, during the Jays last trip to Yankee Stadium:

Down the stretch, Burnett even received a thumbs-up review of New York from a surprising source -- Carl Pavano, the much-maligned Yankees right-hander and a former Marlins teammate.

Standing down the third-base line during the Blue Jays' September visit, Burnett and Pavano dodged batting-practice drives and spoke honestly about what life is like pitching for the Yankees. Pavano's positive review surprised even Burnett.

"He said it's great," Burnett said. "He recommended that I come here and believed that I need to come here to really blossom and start something special. The first thing he told me is that he didn't do it right from the beginning and got off on the wrong foot in New York. But it's a great place to play and a great place to live."

Well, I'm so glad to hear that your commitment to the Jays was unwavering throughout the season, Allan James. Really good to know that you "honestly had no idea" what you were going to do with the opt-out.

So, about that breakfast, lunch, and dinner.....I hope you enjoy them, A.J. Try not to choke on it.

16 comments:

The Ack said...

Checkin' in early this weekend dudes....not sure if I'll be around and had to get his off my chest.

But I feel MUCH better now....

Stedron said...

When he inevitably does choke, and let's out a distressed "ACK," you can take it personally.

Anonymous said...

I don't care when he made his decision, or whether he broke any rules, or anything else. All I know is he's a Yankee, which means I hate him, rationally or not. That's just the way it is.

Anonymous said...

AJ is such a weak, rich, and fake douchebag that I kind of like him

His heaping flaws are even more obvious if you compare him with Doc (aka Jesus)

Anonymous said...

There's only suffering as Jays fans.

Chances are that within the next 5 years we're going to see Burnett in a World Series pile up.


We need our messiah.

The Southpaw said...

Quote the first:

"Whether you love them or hate them, everybody wants to be a Yankee."

That's one of the major reasons WHY i hate them.

Quote the second:

"He . . . believed that I need to come here to really blossom and start something special."

Yeah, cause that is what happened for him.

Of course, what are you going to say at the press confrence - "I don't give a damn which team it is, it's all about the money"?

Like Brandan said, being a Yankee is enough (though I did make an exception to that policy for Jimmy Key and David Cone)

~Will

Joanna said...

It's so nice that he mentioned Doc in the press conference

"Roy pounded it in my head that I don't have to throw 98 every day," Burnett said. "I don't have to go full-tilt, that I can win ballgames and be successful pitching at 94, 95 and 96. I threw a handful of two-seamers in '07, and that was probably half of my arsenal last year."

Ah, fuck you.

Anonymous said...

Everyone seems to hate the Yankees but think about this way. If the Jays had unlimited money to spend like the Yankees would you be pissed if the Jays were signing big free agents every year? Didn't think so.

For something you all knew would happen you sure seem bitter. It's over with. He's gone. Even with AJ, the Jays didn't really have a shot at making it to the playoffs.

I am and will always be a Jays fan at heart but sometimes you just have to be realistic. These days, what gets me through the day is just watching good quality baseball. I will continue to wait until the day the Jays put it together for 162 games and make it to the playoffs and make a run at the World Series again.

Until that day comes, I'm going to sit back and just enjoy the game. Maybe some of you folks might want to try that. Bitching is fun but it gets old.

On The Fence Sports

The Ack said...

I don't see people bitching about the Yankees' unlimited spending here. I see people bitching about AJ being a bit of a douche.

Anonymous said...

The best part of this signing for A.J. is he gets to continue to be a #2 starter

Anonymous said...

Why is AJ a bit of a douche? The guy was thinking about his future and made sure everything was secure financially while giving himself a chance to play for a World Series ring.

It sucks to see him leave but I do wish him well like I do with all players because all I want is to watch good quality baseball.

Dave - I think he'll be a #3 starter behind CC and Wang.

On The Fence Sports

Stedron said...

I never thought I'd hear someone argue that A.J. wasn't a douche, even before this off-season.

Anonymous said...

Maybe AJ just needs a better publicist

Anonymous said...

Can someone explain to me how Carl Pavano knows what it's like to pitch for the Yankees...?

Or maybe what he was really getting at is how great it is to get paid millions of dollars to NOT play in a town where they eat, drink, and shit baseball (not necessarily in that order)...

Navin Vaswani (@eyebleaf) said...

Personally, I don't think bitching ever gets old.

Fuck A.J. I look forward to Doc dealing with his case next season head-to-head.

Anonymous said...

buy bactrim online buy bactrim without a prescription overnight buy bactrim buy bactrim without prescription buy bactrim es online without prescription buy bactrim f
[url=http://bactrim.eventbrite.com/]buy bactrim online [/url]
benefit of glucophage glucophage combination articles on glucophage and weight loss 3 glucophage during pregnancy glucophage and estrogen glucophage side effects of glucophage
[url=http://takeglucophage.eventbrite.com/]metformin glucophage for weight loss [/url]
muscle atrophy proscar side effects painful erection proscar proscar spermatogenesis psa proscar proscar proscar and psa level proscar and propecia
[url=http://proscar.eventbrite.com/]proscar for bph [/url]
levitra young people livetra levitra medicine apcalis levitra woman male impotence levitra dangers
[url=http://virb.com/yalevi]levitra commercial [/url]
http://takeglucophage.eventbrite.com/