Friday, October 17, 2008

You may not like it, but you have to respect it

"Gas is up and so am I."

If that little nugget is representative of "Manny being Manny", then fill 'er up, please. You have to love the fact that Manny isn't hiding behind some false facade, like wanting to play where he "feels like a part of the family" (for example), which is admirable, if not completely fucking bogus (pardon my cynicism). No, Manny is pretty clear in where his priorities lie - here's the full quote:

"I just want to go home [to Florida] and spend some time with my family," Ramirez says, while adding with a grin, "I want to see who is the highest bidder. Gas is up and so am I."

Oh, and the next part of the story?

The Yankees, Blue Jays and Mets are amongst the teams believed to be interested in Ramirez.

Now look, nobody is saying that the pockets in Teddy Rogers' baseball pants (or trousers....I bet Ted wears trousers...) are as deep as those belonging to Freddy Wilpon or the Steinbrenner halfwits, but there's no reason they can't be. Mix in some understated hinting at the Beest's presser that Rogers might be talked into raising payroll, if even ever so slightly, and bingo bango bongo - we have the start of an interesting offseason.

Hell, the way things are shaping up, December might prove to be more exciting than the Jays' September march to the pLAYOFFS!

And yes, I realize how sad that is. Just let me have my fun.

9 comments:

Navin Vaswani (@eyebleaf) said...

Teddy Rogers def. wears trousers. Or, perhaps he wears slacks. Either way, he's definitely not wearing pants.

I'm loathe to buy into the Manny hype. I can't take much more disappointment.

I'm still kind of pissed off with Gil Meche. Even though he's shit.

mathesond said...

I too am loathe to buy into the Manny hype, mainly because the Jays will need to offer at least 4 yrs @ $20M per to get him here, and I really don't want him pulling down that sort of green in the latter years of his deal

The Ack said...

ah, ah, ah....thanks for picking up on the sarcasm, genius.

Anonymous said...

mathesond, 4 years might not cut it anymore:

“I’m looking for a seven-year deal. I want Alex money.”

- Manny

Frank said...

I really doubt there's going to be much of a bidding war for him. There aren't many teams who are interested and remember how Boras' little experiment worked out last offseason with Rodriguez worked? He tried this same thing and he couldn't get any interest. And Rodriguez is 3 years younger.

Darren Priest said...

Ack, your sarcasm is just too subtle for concrete thinkers like anonymous.

Boras actually managed to get the Yankees to bid against themselves after bitch-slapping them with the opt-out. It was truly amazing.

If Manny wants A-rod terms, then we can stop dreaming right now. I'm a Manny fan and I wouldn't want him at those terms.

Darren Priest said...

Ack, when did you develop this healthy hatred towards Drew Carey's older brother?

The Ack said...

I don't know why I carry such venom for the guy. Actually, yes I do. I recall an incident this season where there were some fireworks between the Jays and Rays, and Maddon pulled off some holier than thou "that's not how we play the game, they oughta be ashamed of themselves" bullshit. Just struck me as entirely self-serving given their dustups with the Yankees and Sox early on and his earlier "we aren't going to get pushed around" mantra. I'm sure I posted about it. In fact, here's the quote that set me off:

http://taoofstieb.blogspot.com/2008/07/bring-on-rays.html

Tampa Bay Rays manager Joe Maddon skewered the Toronto Blue Jays and Cito Gaston after Saturday's game, contending that Brandon League hit Rays catcher Dioner Navarro on purpose in relaliation for Navarro dropping a bunt single with a 5-0 lead.

“He can think what he wants,” Gaston said before Sunday's game. “If those are his thoughts, fine.”

Maddon said: “I really disagree with what they did. We'll stop trying to score runs when they stop trying. Maybe in 1922 you wouldn't do that because nobody could hit a home run. But in the year 2008, people can hit home runs. You see how they came back. Once again in baseball, for me, there are moments when people definitely mentally move at a glacier pace and they really have to get beyond it. It stunk.”
.
.
.
Like, seriously, fuck off.

Anonymous said...

Look at Manny's second half and playoff numbers and tell me G.M.s/fans (like us) don't automatically think PLAYOFFS if their team can sign him.

If he could help give you a couple playoff runs and a World Series ring wouldn't having him lying around the clubhouse for the last two years be worth it? Plus, he's DHing, he can do that for another 5-6 don't you think?

That being said, I don't really want the Jays to be the ones figuring this out for themselves.